How Coronavirus (Covid 19) is affecting work and travel in Chicago

by - March 12, 2020

     
Everyone. And I do mean everyone. Is talking about coronavirus or “Covid 19.” It started out as a terrible flu in China that no one could have predicted would cause such a big scare across the globe as it turned into a pandemic. The scare is reasonable as we don’t know much about Covid 19 let alone how to prevent it. Everyone everywhere is sending out emails, phone calls, and messages in every shape and form about “washing your hands often!” “Cleaning continuously touched surfaces” “avoiding crowds.” 
       In all honesty, I am a bit worried. If only because of the mass hysteria I see in reaction to the virus from day to day.
      As many of you know, I live on the outskirts of chicago and frequent the city multiple times a week. My college campus has sent out a number of emails about the virus and all of my professors have spent at least ten minutes per class period talking about the illness.
      At first, chicagoans joked about it. Memes were created and shared, and we all had a good laugh. Now, things have become a little more serious. Though many of us agree that we don’t think it’ll affect us, we are all taking precautions. People ARE washing their hands more. Wearing gloves on the train. Avoiding close contact with people. And more. 
      My school has already spoken with professors on actions to take should the school close. Many events are cancelling or aren’t receiving as much attention as per usual. And of course, people are buying out cleaning supplies like crazy!
     I work for Target and have witnessed first hand the devastating lack of hand sanitizer, Clorox wipes, and Lysol. For the last few weeks, it’s been an immediate “sorry we’re all out” response in regards to questions of hand sanitizer in stock. I’ve heard rumors of supply shortages for other items including canned food and bottled water. While I’ve also heard rumors that Walmart and Meijer are taking losses for a shortage of in coming products. Are these rumors true? It’s hard to say. 
       But what is a fact is that less and less people are travelling. Airline prices are plummeting to appease travel goers to travel. Demand for shelf foods and cleaners is too high to maintain. And people are becoming more wary of those around them than ever before.
      Chinatown, usually bustling around this time of year, is more similar to a ghost town. I pass by on the train some days and hardly see a soul in sight. 
      I’ve heard about the stock market closing to prevent people from frantically selling out. Though personally, I don’t pay enough attention to stocks. I know the market is fluctuating a ton, but that’s about all I know. 
      Chicago itself is still continuing on day to day activities. My school in particular has continued as normal. Life has not stopped. Rumors of potential quarantine are still laughable in the city, though I’m sure I’m not the only one who has grown mildly concerned. 
      Is it safe to visit Chicago right now? Yes. As I said, Chicago is as normal as it’s ever been. Personally, I’m not sure if I’ll be travelling anywhere soon. If I do, it will probably remain in Indiana or at least the U.S. There’s no telling when or if things will get worse, but for now, we should remain as prepared and cautious as we can. 


If you like this post, check out some similar posts of mine below:
Click here to view
Feel free to leave a comment below and let me know what you think of Covid 19 and how cities near you are reacting. 

You can also email me with questions or concerns you may have at info.amelia.wilson@gmail.com

Also, check out my poetry book, The Lights are on but Nobody’s Home, available now on amazon for $6.99!


Disclaimer: All of the views and opinions in this post are solely my own and are not sponsored.


Thanks again

You May Also Like

0 comments