What I'm Reading this Month: June

by - June 29, 2019



     This month kicked off the start of summer and 1 out of 2 moves for me. It’s been crazy! I’ve been working more, learning more, and doing more...except for keeping up on my reading and my blog apparently. Is it bad that I’ve only read one book this month? ONE! I’m an abomination!
     So, I’ve decided to not only review the book I’ve been reading, but also some articles and smaller things. I read every day. I just don’t read a book every day. A lot of what I read is from the internet on my phone. And that’s okay! 
     Enjoy this slightly unconventional “what I’m reading this month” post and hope that July proves to be a bit more...ordinary.

Title: Asymmetry
Author: Lisa Halliday 


This book was very different from books I tend to read. I prefer fiction and fantasy stories. Now, this IS a fiction novel. However it’s realistic fiction. I avoid realistic and nonfiction like the plague. Don’t ask why. I’m still not sure. 
     The book is set up in three parts: the first following a young writer and her love with a well renowned author, the second following an Iraqi-American man and his life between the two countries, and the third about the well renowned authors success to becoming a Nobel prize winner. What was unique about this book was in how it was told. 
     The conversations were quick and simple, not at all revealing. The style in which the book was written was in separated chunks by scene and there was hardly any description or detail. It was sweet but also a bit odd. It wasn’t my favorite, though I admired the modernity of it. 
     Overall, the book was pretty good. The story was fitting for this time period (it took place in 2003 and 2008ish). I don’t know if it’s a ‘recommend’ from me, but it was certainly very interesting.

Title: Who Cooked the Last Supper?
Author: Rosalind Miles


     I haven’t actually read this book, however, I might put it on my list. I’ve read excerpts of it and from what I’ve seen, it’s pretty good. To be fair, I’ve only read the “interesting parts” and I haven’t been able to get a good feel for the book yet, but I found it rather interesting.
     The book talks about some interesting evolutionary traits that evolved in humans due to women as well as stories in women’s history that have since been more or less forgotten. 
     One interesting fact from the book: right handedness came about as women began to carry children on their left side, using their right hand to work. The reason for being on the left side is due to the fact that the heart is on that side of the body.



     This last one isn’t a conventional book whatsoever. My favorite thing to read about deals with questions like “why are humans like they are?” “Why do people need purpose?” “What does it mean to be human?” Etc. I absolutely LOVE the tumblr posts about humans being considered “space orcs.” (Look it up it's more interesting than it sounds!)
     There are tons of articles about how humans evolved with certain mannerisms (even over the last hundred years), how language has evolved, culture, religion, sexuality, etc. It’s my favorite thing. And I wish I saved every article and could just paste them in links here but I might have to save that for another day.

What I’m trying to say is, I’ve been reading, just not the way I normally read.


Anyway, I hope this post was “decent.” I know it’s nowhere as thrilling as posts before it. However, I encourage you to check out these two books. 

My poetry book The Lights are on but Nobody’s Home is available on Amazon for $9.99! 

Feel free to leave comments below! I enjoy reading people’s thoughts and opinions. Or, email me with questions at info.amelia.wilson@gmail.com.

You May Also Like

0 comments