Soulmates: The Reasons I Don't Believe in Them

by - July 02, 2019



The reason I don’t believe in soul mates

     The belief that each and every person has a soulmate somewhere in the world is probably the most adorable belief around. That isn’t satire! I actually think it’s cute that humans long for that one special connection so much that there is now a word/meaning for it: soulmate, another person that connects so fully, mind, body, and spirit, to you that the two become the ideal, inseparable match.
      It’s cute, isn't it?
      From a more, unearthly perspective, looking upon humanity on this particular topic is kind of heart warming. There are a number of cultures of  which this ideal holds some sort of permanence in society’s beliefs on love. And it’s touching due to the fact that humans desire so much to be understood and connected with each other.


     I found an article on Oprah.com the other day that laid out what a soulmate is in three different cultures, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Judaism. It was interesting to see another interpretation of a soulmate than just those in western culture. In both Hinduism and Buddhism, a person can have multiple soulmates over the course of their lives (including reincarnations). Soulmates don’t have to be romantic partners (that’s a western thing), they can be teachers, parents, friends, etc. Essentially, a soulmate aids in leading you towards your spiritual growth.
      Alright, so now that this has all been established, let me rephrase my belief in the nonexistence of soulmates.
      If we speak about the “Hindus karmic connection with certain souls” (Oprah.com) then yes, I would say I believe in soulmates. If we’re speaking about the western idea that one person is the perfect match for you, typically in a romantic sense, then no, I would disagree that soulmates exist.

Click here to read

      Throughout my life, I’d say I’ve met at least two or three people who’ve really changed me or resonated with me. We can call this the karmic connection for the sake of argument, but in essence our souls and minds just clicked. 
      There are people who come into your life who either inspire you, support you, or challenge you, and they are each important. Spiritual growth happens when we begin to change our way of thinking and/or living, typically inspired by someone else. This doesn’t have to be a bad thing either. Sometimes we change for the worse, sometimes for the better.
      I wrote a book about one of my karmic connections. I’m dating another. And another was a teacher of mine. And there are still a number of others who’ve aided me in my growth and who I really connect with that could be considered karmic connections. I don’t talk to each of them everyday all of the time. No. I met them and have been greatly impacted because of it.
      But let’s get back to the title of the article.
      I don’t believe in soulmates. 
      An ideal match? Please. People are too different to be “ideal.” People can be compatible. They cannot be the perfect, all around amazing, never-gets-upset-with-each-other match. Many books and fairytales (again typically rewritten by western culture) focus on the one true love, “perfect match,” that everyone has and is destined to find. More often than not, it comes in the form of a romantic partner.
       I’ve seen people fall in love over and over again and still that love is real and true. I’ve seen couples who are deeply connected and compatible with each other who still argue and have human problems. I’ve seen people, including myself, with more karmic connections than just one. If we limit ourselves to a soulmate, we neglect to recognize the wonderful relationships we have with people outside of our romantic lives.


     I don’t believe that I have a soulmate. If I’m wrong, I’ll let you know, but I’ve already met three who could technically be considered one. And I’d like to think that they were all souls I resonated with. I don’t have to sit around and wait for a special partner. I have met three wonderful souls who have pushed me to grow.
     I’m not the same person I was in 2011, or 2016, or from last year. These people have inspired me, supported me, and challenged me to become the person I am today. And I’m still growing. I’m still going to meet more people over the course of my life who will play a big part in molding me into the woman I’m supposed to become.
     So I don’t believe in soulmates...more or less, but I do believe in human connection and that has to mean something. 



If you liked this post go ahead and subscribe to my email list to updated about more content.

Or, check out similar articles below!

Feel free to leave a comment below or email me with questions or concerns you may have at info.amelia.wilson@gmail.com

Also, check out my poetry book, The Lights are on but Nobody’s Home, available now on amazon for $9.99!


Disclaimer: All of the views and opinions in this post are solely my own and are not sponsored.


Thanks again

You May Also Like

0 comments