What is minimalism and why it matters

by - April 10, 2020




Alright, so today I wanted to take some time to talk about minimalism!

     Minimalism is not necessarily about owning less, but more about finding purpose and fulfillment in what you have. It means creating a clean space for yourself by undoing the burden that clutter and disorganization can bring into your life. Minimalism looks different for everybody. I’ve watched so many YouTube videos on the topic and can officially confirm that this is true!
      Personally, minimalism for me means clearing out old and unused items, keeping things because they are useful and discarding what is not, and keeping spaces clean and clutter free. 
      One thing that can be kind of difficult for me as a minimalist is that I’m not too particularly keen on the white on white on white style. You know, the decorum that comes to mind with minimalism:

     In fact, I prefer the bohemian style when it comes to decorating my house. I enjoy warm colors, lots of plants, vintage items, paintings and art all around, etc. Now, I do enjoy the white on white theme that many minimalists take one, but it’s not necessarily my favorite.
     Many people think that in order to be a minimalist, you have to reduce the amount of everything you own and take up this white on white decor theme. This is not true!

You can be a minimalist and still have 50 books on your bookshelf or 20 blankets on your bed or 15 paintings on your wall.

Minimalism looks different for everybody!

      Minimalism is not so much a style as it is a mindset. Yes, in some cases you will reduce your amount of “stuff” but essentially, you’re clearing out what no longer serves a purpose for you. 
      Here are ways I’ve cleared clutter, taking up the minimalist attitude:
  • reduced my closet
  • Reduced the mail/paper clutter in my office space
  • Threw out old projects, paint, and useless items that I’ll never use
  • I don’t buy more dishes than we need
  • I don’t shop just because something is “cute” or “trendy”
  • I’ve become more aware of how my purchases affect the environment and my home

      Okay, so that last one is not necessarily a minimalist “need” per say. But I enjoy knowing that the products I purchase are holistic, ethical, and clean. It makes me feel healthier and more responsible. 
      However, there are many things I did not do that many minimalists do. For example:
  • I didn’t throw out all of my shoes (I own quite a lot)
  • I didn’t throw out my knickknacks
  • I keep old postcards and decor gifts
  • I own more than 50 books
  • I own more than 30 dvd movies
  • I have quite a few plants
  • I have quite a few pieces of wall art.

       Just because I own this stuff doesn’t mean I’m not a minimalist. I really enjoy gifts and souvenirs from others, they become hard to part with. I also find the pieces decorative and timeless. I own a lot of books because I’m a literary freak and don’t know how I’d live without them! I love plants and want so many more! They brighten up the living space and speak to that bohemian house theme that I’m so in love with.
       
       What does minimalism actually do for me if I’m not living it as most minimalists do?
      Well, for one, I feel less burdened. I own less clothing which makes it easier to get up in the morning and dress. I own less makeup which makes it easy to get ready that way. We have fewer dishes which makes it easier to keep the kitchen clean. We have less clutter in our living room which makes the space more useful and enjoyable. 
       Minimalism is a state of mind. It clears a lot of stress and helps me to feel rejuvenated. I’ve recently dabbled in Wicca, specifically the cyclical effects of nature, and have become quite obsessed with certain traditions/actions. More specifically, Ostara—the spring equinox—was just celebrated. Ostara is about new life, beginnings, planting seeds (mentally and physically) etc. One of the most important things I could do for myself spiritually, mentally, and physically was to clear old clutter from my house.
      I cleaned out my wardrobe and now operate it as a capsule wardrobe. I cleaned out old jewelry that I hardly use. And I cleaned my entire house. This has made me feel so refreshed and ready to take on the new astrological new year.

     How do you know if minimalism is right for you?
     Watch videos. Read articles. Listen to podcasts. Do it all. You’ll know if it’s right for you. My favorite influencers on this topic are:

Youtube: 
  • Sarah Therese
  • Madeleine Olivia
  • The Small Wardrobe
  • Sedona Christina

Blogs:
  • minimisewithme.com
  • laivana.com
  • alittlerosedust.com

Podcasts:
  • Minimal-ish
  • The Functioning Minimalist
  • Be uncluttered

     The best thing you can do is experience this yourself and then define what minimalism means to you. As I grow and mature, more and more used to be “necessities” become clutter and I end up removing them from my life. Ideally, I’d like to be as clutter free as possible even despite my bohemian-esque home decor. 
      It’s possible to obtain this mindset and still not be one of those “hardcore” minimalists you see online. Give it a try!

If you like this post, check out some similar posts of mine below:

Click here to view




Feel free to leave a comment below and let me know how you define minimalism.

You can also email me with questions or concerns you may have at info.amelia.wilson@gmail.com

Also, check out my poetry book, The Lights are on but Nobody’s Home, available now on amazon for $6.99!

Disclaimer: All of the views and opinions in this post are solely my own and are not sponsored.

Thanks again

You May Also Like

0 comments